OUR FIRST CHURCH 1894 - 1950
On September 15, 1894, this building and property were aquired by the founding fathers for their worship. On July 22, 1905, a fire destroyed the building. An emergency meeting was held, and it was resolved to erect a new building. A duplicate of the first church was completed on April 14, 1907, and the building was used until 1950.
1894 - 1907 Professor G. Thiele
1907 - 1925 Pastor Arnold Hoenecke
1925 - 1948 Pastor J. G. Ruege
1948 - 1957 Pastor Edgar Knief
1957 - 1977 Pastor Frederic Gilbert I
1977 - 2006 Pastor Dale R. Baumler
2004 - 2006 Pastor John H. Meyer VI
2006 - Present Pastor Mark Aufdemberge
September 14, 1894 A group of men from the Township of Greenfield under the leadership of Pastor Henry Bergman met in an Episcopal church located at South 84th Street and West Lapham Street to organize a Lutheran congregation.
September 15, 1894 Formal incorporation of Jordan Evangelical Lutheran Church took place in a meeting held in the Episcopal church. This building and property were acquired by the founding fathers for their place of worship.
January 12, 1896 Professor Gilbert Thiele, a member of the faculty of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Seminary, was called to serve the congregation in addition to his professorship.
July 22, 1905 Fire destroyed the church building. That same evening an emergency meeting was held at which time it was resolved to erect a new church building.
April 14, 1907 Dedication of the new church building took place in special services.
November 17, 1907 Installation services were held for Pastor Arnold Hoenecke who would be Jordan's first resident pastor.
June 11, 1911 A pipe organ was installed in the church.
January 14, 1922 Acquisition of property at South 77th Street and West National Avenue was begun with a view towards eventual relocation.
July 13, 1925 Pastor Arnold Hoenecke accepted a call to Muskegon, Michigan. Pastor Justus Ruege was called.
May 25, 1926 The congregation resolved to initiate a Christian day school and erect a building to accommodate the school on the property at South 77th Street and West National Avenue.
January 30, 1928 Twenty-three pupils in grades 1-4 met in the basement of the old church to form the first class of Jordan Lutheran School. Miss Alma Nommensen was the first teacher.
March 5, 1928 The class moved to its new quarters in the recently completed building on National Avenue. These facilities are the basement of our present church building.
August 1928 Mr. Siegbert Bergmann accepted the call as principal and teacher of the upper grades at Jordan Lutheran School.
1934 Mr. Leonard Stellwagen accepted the call to serve as principal of Jordan Lutheran School.
June 27, 1948 Pastor Justus Ruege accepted a call to David City, Nebraska, following which Pastor Edgar Knief was called.
February 19, 1950 Dedication services were held for the new church building located at South 77th Street and West National Avenue.
April 8, 1951 The pipe organ was finished and dedicated in the new church building.
1955 Mr. Paul Jungkuntz accepted the call to serve Jordan as principal.
January 1, 1957 Pastor Edgar Knief accepted a call to St. Paul, Minnesota. Pastor Frederic Gilbert was called.
1960 Stained glass windows were installed in the new church.
August 1968 Mr. Howard Maertz was called to serve Jordan Lutheran School as principal.
August 1971 Mr. Donald Gurgel accepted the call to serve Jordan Lutheran School as principal.
August 1973 Mr. David Zubke accepted Jordan's call to serve as principal.
August 1975 Mr. Elmer Baacke accepted the call to serve as Jordan Lutheran School's new principal.
1977 Pastor Frederic Gilbert retired from the public ministry.
September 25, 1977 Pastor Dale R. Baumler installed as Jordan's new minister.
November 17, 1985 The voters of Jordan voted to buy Johnson School at South 84th Street and West Beloit Road.
December 21, 1985 Jordan assumed ownership of the property at South 84th Street and West Beloit Road for a purchase price of $430,000. Start-up and loan costs pushed this figure to nearly $500,000.
September 1994 A Festival Service celebrated the 100th anniversary of the formation of Jordan congregation. Rev. Karl Gurgel, president of our synod, was the guest speaker. The service was followed by a dinner attended by about 300.
August 2000 Jordan voted to sell the school property on South 84th Street and Beloit Road.
August 2001 Jordan merged schools with Woodlawn and became Lamb of God Lutheran School.
June 2002 A groundbreaking ceremony was held for the new addition on Lamb of God Lutheran School property.
August 2003 Senior vicar, David Endorf, served Jordan for one year.
July 18, 2004 Pastor John H. Meyer VI, graduate from Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary, installed as Jordan's associate pastor.
May 2006 Pastor John Meyer resigned from the public ministry. Pastor Baumler retired from the public ministry.
Dec 2006 Pastor Mark Aufdemberge installed as Jordan's new minister.
September 2019 Worship Service held to celebrate the 125th anniversary of the formation of Jordan congregation. Pastor Mark Aufdemberge led the worship with Pastor Dale Baumler as guest preacher.
February 2022 Voters from Jordan, Woodlawn, and Good Shepherd's Evangelical Lutheran Churches voted to unify into one congregation. This congregation would later be known as Living Hope Evangelical Lutheran Church.
July 31, 2022 Closing celebration worship service held at Jordan. Pastor Mark Aufdemberge led the worship with Pastor Dale Baumler as guest preacher.
August 1, 2022 Jordan's church property at South 77th Street and West National Avenue was sold as part of the unification merger process of Living Hope Evangelical Lutheran Church. The ministry of Jordan church continues at the two remaining Living Hope campuses in West Allis.